Keep your home safe

Buying a home

Exhaust pipe

Gas emergencies

If you smell gas, call the 24 hour emergency gas service for your area:

  • Great Britain: 0800 111 999
  • Guernsey: 01481 749000
  • Isle of Man: 0808 1624 444
  • Northern Ireland: 0800 002 001

Further information about Gas Safety and how to find a registered gas engineer can be found at the following websites:

If you're buying a new home you should be aware that most homebuyer surveys do not include a gas safety check. It's up to you to make sure the gas is safe. Ask the vendor for a gas safety record or arrange your own gas safety check.

If your vendor can't supply an up to date gas safety record, get a Gas Safe registered engineer to check the appliances. This check should include the boiler, oven, hob and gas fires. The registered engineer will give the vendor a gas safety record, which they should handover to you before you move in.

Renting or letting a home

Whether you're a landlord or a tenant, make sure you understand the laws about gas safety.


If you're a landlord, the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 places responsibilities on you to make sure your tenants are safe. If you let a property, you must make sure that the gas pipe work, flues and appliances you supply for your tenants are in good condition. A Gas Safe registered engineer must carry out a safety check in your properties every year, and give you a Gas Safety Record.

The Gas Safety Record confirms t he gas appliances have been checked and are safe. You must give your tenants a copy of the record within 28 days of the safety check or before they move in. You must also show your tenants how they can turn off the gas supply in the event of a gas leak.

Remember, you must keep a record of each safety check for two years. Visit the HSE website for more information about landlords' responsibility for gas safety.


Your landlord has specific legal responsibilities when it comes to gas safety. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 requires your landlord to have a gas safety check done by a Gas Safe registered engineer every year.

It's important to cooperate with your landlord and allow the engineer in to do the gas safety check. Your landlord must give you a copy of the Gas Safety Record, which gives information about the safety checks that have been done, within 28 days. If you're a new tenant, get a copy of the record before you move in.

If you own the gas appliances in your rented property your landlord is not responsible for getting them safety checked, you are. However, your landlord may still be responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipe work and any chimney or flue that serves your appliances. If this is the case, you and your landlord should arrange the gas safety check together.

If you think that your landlord is not complying with the law you should get in touch with the Health and Safety Authority for your area. Failure to follow gas safety requirements is a criminal offence and the Health and Safety Executive can issue a formal caution and may prosecute your landlord.

Gas Safe Register ID Card

What is Gas Safe Register?

Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register. It replaced CORGI.

All Gas Safe registered engineers carry a Gas Safe Register ID card. Before any gas work is carried out always check the card and make sure the engineer is qualified for the work you need doing.

What are the dangers of poorly serviced appliances?

Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

Protect yourself from the dangers by following these simple steps:

  • Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliances
  • Get your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year
  • Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm
  • Check for warning signs such as lazy yellow flames or black marks or stains around the appliance
  • Know the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Always ask for a Gas Safe registered engineer and always ask to see their ID card. If you suspect anyone to be working illegally report them to Gas Safe Register. If you have had gas work done in your property in the last six months, you can nominate it for a free gas safety inspection. For more information and to find and check an engineer go to or call 0800 408 5500.